Leta i den här bloggen

Läser in...

måndag 1 oktober 2012

Day 1 of the countdown :)

(FYI this is my first post in English, which I haven't used in a long time. I'll apologize in advance if my English is a bit rusty...)

To those of you who may not know me, I live in a small town in the north of Sweden. Halloween is a new holiday over here. Although it was occasionally celebrated in Stockholm (the capital of Sweden) as early as the 1950's and 60's, it wasn't until 1990 a Swedish business chain decided to launch Halloween-stuff for real in Stockholm. During the following years, it spread to other big cities, like Göteborg and Malmö. Around 1995 Halloween had become more commonly known throughout the country.





I remember my first Halloween, it must have been around 95 or 96 (which means I was 10 or 11). It was love at first sight! Or something like that. We made a Jack'o'Lantern and we hade a cake in black and orange that said "Happy Halloween". And on that very night, the first snow came down! It was magical.

As a child, I never went trick-or-treating. I don't think anyone did, until recently. And still the trick-or-treaters are few, at least here in the city. Unfortunately, a big part of the Halloween celebrations over here is just another excuse for adults to dress up and get drunk for a night. That's why I'm really looking forward to participate in this online celebration - the countdown to Halloween!

And just in case a couple of trick or treaters would knock on my door, I promise I'll give them a better welcome than the Winchester brothers in Supernatural...




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar